Should You Repair or Replace Your Furnace?
The cold weather has arrived and you’ll want to make sure you furnace is functioning properly. Furnaces are a lot like cars, the older they get, the more you have to replace parts and fix them. At Ohio Heating & Air Conditioning, we know that sometimes fixing a broken furnace may not be the right action if your furnace is older. But how do you know when it’s time to stop fixing your furnace and invest in a new one?
Here are 6 signs to look for when it’s time to replace your furnace:
- How old is your furnace? The average life span of a furnace in homes today is between 16 and 20 years old. So if your furnace is getting up there in age, you should consider investing in a new one. You don’t want to wait until the blistering cold weather to realize that your furnace has stopped working. This is something that should be considered before the winter hits. An easy way to see if your furnace is really old and needs replaced is that if it still has a pilot light. If this is the case, your furnace is probably over 25 years old.
- How high are your gas and electric bills? An older furnace is known to have caused people higher bills in the winter because of the lack of efficiency due to not being maintained properly. Newer furnaces are around 96% efficient, which pays for itself because older furnaces are only around 60% efficient.
- Have you repaired your furnace? If you have repaired your furnace more than once in the past two years, you can depend on the fact that there will be more. Since furnaces are a lot like cars, bits and pieces of them will need to keep being fixed and repaired unless you get a new one. Repairs can easily cost around $400 to $500 to keep your old furnace working.
- Are you comfortable with the temperature in your home? If you’re having thermostat wars with others in your home or if you feel that you are constantly changing the thermostat to keep yourself comfortable, it may be time for a change. This means that your furnace probably lacks the ability to evenly disperse the air throughout your home to keep you constantly comfortable.
- Check your burner flame. If your burner flame is yellow or is flickering, this may be a warning sign that poisonous carbon monoxide could be made by your furnace. Other signs include streaks of soot around the furnace, absence of an upward draft in the chimney, a lot of moisture on the windows, walls, or other surfaces that are cold.
- Is your furnace noisy? An obvious sign that your furnace is ready to be replaced is that if it is making weird noises. If you have heard any popping, banging, rattling, squealing noises, or if you hear the furnace blower running rapid, it’s time to get it checked out.
If one or more of these signs apply to your existing furnace, then it is probably time to get a new one. Buying a new heating system for your home can be confusing. Selecting just the right options and features can be difficult, but the team at Ohio Heating & Air Conditioning can help you make the right decision.
Our sales, service and installation teams are specially-trained in the design and installation of heating systems and we can help you find the right equipment for your home and your budget and we have easy financing plans available.
We repair and service all makes and models.
Easy Financing Available!
*Subject to qualifying credit approval.Plan 3128. 84 payments. Beginning with 1st transaction, 12 month promo period with no payments required followed by 84 amortized payments based on the balance at the end of promo. Interest charged to account is waived if entire purchase balance is paid before the end of promo period. No prepayment penalty. APR stated in your loan agreement fixed for life of loan.