Spring is the perfect time to do a little cleaning and maintenance on your air conditioning unit. You want to be ready when those hot, humid summer days of summer arrive.
Here are some spring cleaning tips for maintaining your AC:
- Clean and replace your AC filters. The most important way to maximize your air conditioner is to keep the filters clean. Dirty filters will block airflow and cause the system to run less efficiently. A dirty filter can lower your efficiency by 5% to 15%. Change your AC filter once a month. Less efficiency means higher bills to match the higher temperatures.
- Check the seal on your window air conditioner. Room air conditioners need to be inspected to be sure no air is escaping to the outside. The unit and the window frame should be sealed.
- Clean the condenser located outside your house. Exposed to the outdoors, your condenser can get pretty dirty and this will cause your unit to run less efficiently. Use a coil cleaner available at a hardware store.
- Clean the fins of your unit. Don't hose down the fins with a hose. The dirt could turn to mud and compact into the system. Use a soft brush to carefully remove the dirt from the fins. These can be damaged if you are too aggressive with your cleaning.
- Check your Freon level. At the beginning of the cooling season, it is always important to check that the correct amount of refrigerant is in the system. Unless you are experience, it is best to consult a certified technician.
Your HVAC system is one of the most expensive parts of your home. A little maintenance can go a long way towards extending the life of your equipment and keeping it running smoothly.
Ohio Heating & Air Conditioning, we're a licensed HVAC contractor and we have been ensuring homeowners comfort since 1997. When your system is running smoothly, you can be confident that your family is breathing safe, clean, comfortable air.
Call us to schedule your Spring Tune-Up at 614-863-6666 or click the button below.